My son always gets his "四年级课本" (Standard 4 Textbooks) in great form because he is the first one using the new KSSR syllabus. However, the next child who gets his books won't get them nice and lovely like he does. His bag is so full and heavy that no matter how I try to tell him to take care of his books, they always look bad at the end of the year because they are all squashed up in the school bag.
My daughter who is in Standard 6 gets hand me downs used by students from previous years. If she is lucky, she gets the old textbooks from someone who has taken good care of it previously but most of the time, they look bad with dog ears and tears which we have to mend with a tape.
Here are 5 Reasons Why You Need Your Own KSSR Textbooks
- Reduce The Load On Your Child's Back. It reduces your child's bag load. You can ask your child to leave their on loaned textbooks in school while you have a set of spare books at home for them to refer to. This means they will never forget to bring it home when they need it. It is also useful for times when your child is absent from school and he needs to refer to his textbook for homework. You don't have to drive all the way to school to get that textbook that you asked him to leave in school to lighten his bag.
- Make Notes, Write Or Draw Relevant Information On The Book. You want to write and make notes on the book itself. You can't do that with the on loan textbooks. For example I find it especially useful to translate words by writing the pinyin and English meaning in the "华语课本" or Chinese Textbook.
- Repetition and Reinforcement By Revising Using The Same KSSR Activity Books At Home Just Before Tests. You can get the KSSR Activity Books that come in a set with the KSSR Textbooks instead of other workbooks. You can use this for extra revision and practice because it is directly relevant and repetition helps your child to remember better.
- A Spare Or Backup Is Useful When Your Child Has To Move His Textbook Around A Lot. If your child goes to an after school tuition center or "An Ching Pan", it helps to keep an extra set of textbooks at the center so you don't have to go through the hassle of forgotten textbooks. The same applies if your child goes to grandma's place after school before heading home.
- A Spare Textbook Is Useful For Others Who Need To Refer To It Like A Tutor Or Yourself If your child is having one to one tuition, it will be a good idea to let the tuition teacher have access to a spare textbook from home easily so that they can follow the school syllabus closely.
However, having said this, I must mention that having a spare textbook is not an excuse for a child to be disorganized or forgetful. We should always still teach our children to take care of their books and to be mindful of their belongings.
What do you think of owning extra textbooks? Do you find it useful or wasteful?