KidoCode

Computer Coding and Math Courses For Kids

Lorna Whiston

Free Trial Speech And Drama Class At Lorna Whiston

Friday, October 31, 2008



Her first test

Today my girl is sitting for her very first kindy assessment test or evaluation. She is rather excited about it.

A month ago we were given a piece of paper with the test syllabus. So I had been helping her to "study". Each time we completed a part, I would strike it off the given syllabus. Finally, we had almost completed her English, Malay, Moral, Maths, and Science Papers. Then she came to me and asked me "Mummy, how come we not yet do the Chinese?" Hahaha. "Its because mummy don't know how, thats why!" lol.

Eventually, mummy had to take the dictionary and painstakingly try to figure out what the part of the syllabus was going to be covered. Boy! That was tough. But we managed to cover it, I hope. Haha.

Last night before we went to bed, I asked her if she had any questions to ask me about the test. She had all kinds of questions including..

"Mummy, I'm afraid, I don't know."

I had to explain to her that she need not worry because she had worked very hard at studying so its ok if she didn't remember everything. Then I gave her some exam tips like

  • moving on to the next question if she does not know an answer and coming back to it later
  • checking her work if she finishes early etc

Hmmm... while helping her to study, I had forgotten to give her these tips. I think that teaching a child study tips and exam tips are equally important as just covering the syllabus. Hopefully, that can lead the way to a more independant her in the future where she won't need to study with mummy anymore.

She's still having more tests next week but she has mostly covered all the syllabus so we can relax a bit. This afternoon she wants to make a card for grandad for his birthday tomorrow and we will be having a day out with grandad and all her aunts, uncles and cousins tomorrow. I will explain to her that when you have worked hard at something, then you can have some time to enjoy and relax.

I am always telling her that there is a time for everything. A time to work hard, time to play hard, a time to eat, a time to rest, a time to sleep. So I must show her with actual examples and this is a good opportunity as any.

Good luck sweetie pie! Muaks. Mummy loves you.

11 comments:

  1. Haha. Yalah ling but its a simple test with no time limit. At first I thought there would be time limit but when I went to pick her up the teacher informed me that I would have to wait as she hasn't completed her "test" yet. Eventually she was one of the last to finish. hahaha. I asked her why she took such a long time and she said she wanted to write it down really nicely as she was afraid that her teacher would scold her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your daughter's kindy has test? Mine tak ada lah.... unless they did it without my knowledge! But they have a parent-teacher 5 minute meeting for us to find out how our kid has performed in general over the year.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna,
    I didn't know it either. Hahaha. I think its just a simple evaluation to find out if they understood whats been taught all year round. She's 6 by the way.
    Oh, but if you think a test is hard you should see this mommy blogger's post about the kindy test for her 5 year dotter. Its really tough! http://www.healthfreakmommy.com/?p=1860#commentsold

    ReplyDelete
  4. MG...
    wow..I think it's not good they have already got test in K class. I'm not sure are they really know what test is.

    I remembered when my boy join a drawing competition couple of years ago, he was the first to accomplish his drawing and ask for the present with happy face. He thought to be a winner should be the fastest to finish. Haha...kids, kids..
    Padahal saya sudah menjelaskan really clearly I thought to him..

    since then I think competition or test shouldn't be given to them in their early years.

    But what can we do in this competition era?

    ReplyDelete
  5. henny,
    I agree with you. Mine on the other hand takes her time to finish because she wants to do it really well. Hahaha. And speaking of drawing competitions, my girl is always bugging me to allow her to join one. So far I haven't managed to, so all I did was got her to do some colouring for a mail in competition and then I sent it in for her. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's good practice to start them young. I kind of regret that I had been so relaxed about exams with Kimberly when she was in kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. allthingspurple,
    Just how young is young? My girl is 6 so I think its ok to introduce her to some evaluations but there are some serious tests for younger kids in other kindergartens which I think is a bit too much.

    nomadicmom,
    Yes, scary isn't it? And I picked this kindy over another whose principal told me that they are teaching their kids subjects which are equivalent to the Std One Primary School syllabus. Now that is even more scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. kindy test also got syllabus ah! *roll eyes*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...