Some of these kids that skip meals or eat unhealthily have parents that pack nutritious meals for them. In addition, they may be given pocket money to buy something they like. In my opinion, if you are packing food for your child, there is no need to give them extra money just in case. This encourages bad habit of not finishing the packed food from home.
Some parents prepare beautiful bento meals. However, not all of us have the time to prepare those sorts of meals. So how do you make sure your school going kids eat healthy foods during recess? Going to school and sitting next to him to make sure he eats is not the answer. Education is. Teach them and repeat yourself often.
Tips On Teaching Your Child About The Importance Of Eating And Choosing Healthy Foods
- Talk to your kids about the importance of food and eating
- Explain to your children about the different kinds of food and how it helps their growth
- Teach them to pick the right kinds of food when buying food or when you eat out together
- Practice healthy eating at home
- Eat healthily yourself
- Allow some snacks from time to time (Don't limit altogether because forbidden food is always sweeter. Your child may be attracted to the snack foods his friends are eating. You can allow it once a week or a small amount but explain that he must not indulge because it is not good for his health)
- Ask your child what he/she is eating often and whether he ate at all. If you do not ask, you will not know.
- Teach them to enjoy fruits. It is the best snack and and an easy to pack recess food
Here is an excellent video for you to start. Watch this together with your child. It will help you to do steps 1 and 2 above ie explaining to your child why and what we should eat to be healthy. Video Link: Planning For Good Eating.