My girl is in Std 4 studying in SJKC. She will be sitting for her UPSR in Std 6. In school, they start to prepare them for the UPSR format of answering questions starting from Std 3. Perhaps that is why some parents say after the honeymoon years of Std 1 and Std 2, there is a big jump in difficulty in the lessons.
Anyway, this post focuses on the Bahasa Malaysia Paper or more specifically Part C of the Bahasa Malaysia Penulisan, Writing Paper or Paper 2 for BM which is the Nilai Murni or Pendidikan Moral part. The Penulisan Paper is divided into 3 Parts, Parts A, B and C. Briefly, Part A has 10 marks. The student must build 5 sentences (Bina Ayat) from one picture or a series of pictures. Estimated time to answer this part is 15 minutes.
Part B is the Essay Writing or Karangan part which is given 30 marks in total. The student must write an essay of not less than 60 words and is given 3 Essay choices to choose from. Estimated time 40 minutes.
Finally, Part C which is the focus of this post is 20 marks. Students must write out in not more than 40 words, usually 4 (or more) Nilai Murni or Moral Values based on a given excerpt or Petikan. Estimated time 20 minutes.
Here is a good book for Practise on Nilai Murni writing. The publisher is Hup Lick Publishing (M) Sdn Bhd. This one that I have is for Standard 3. The title is Latihan Penulisan Pengenalan Bahagian C Kertas 2 Tahun 3. For Tahun 4,5 and 6, the word Pengenalan is removed. It is a good step-by-step guide towards understanding how to answer this part of the UPSR Paper 2 Part C.
Nilai Murni References:
1. Senarai Nilai Murni - This one lists the Nilai Murni bilingually in Malay and Chinese. A pity one can't download or print it unless you subscribe, pay, or upload something in return. You can view it online however.
2. UPSR BM (Bahagian C) Nilai-Nilai Murni - This is a printable list. To print, just press the download button, save it onto your PC, then print it out. It is however fully in Malay only
3. There are references in Malay or Malay/Chinese but I have trouble finding a Malay/English reference. Since there are no lists bilingually in Malay and English, I created my own Nilai Murni List in Malay/English. Here it is.
Nilai-Nilai Murni (Moral Values) for Bahagian C Penulisan Paper
- Menghargai Masa - Treasure or Value Time
- Rajin - Hardworking
- Menjaga Kesihatan - Take care of health/Health Conscious
- Menghormati ibu bapa - Respect parents
- Menjaga keselamatan - Take care of safety/Safety Conscious
- Menolong - Helpful
- Cepat Bertindak - Quick Thinking
- Bekerjasama - Co-operative
- Bersyukur - Gratitude
- Menghargai pertolongan - Thankful for Help
- Menepati Masa - Punctual
- Menjaga Kebersihan - Hygiene and Cleanliness
- Semangat cintakan negara/patriotisme - Patriotic
- Memberi tumpuan - Focussed
- Berhati-hati - Careful
- Memberikan penghargaan - To honour and respect
- Melakukan aktiviti and berfaedah - spend time doing useful activities
- Mematuhi peraturan/arahan - Obey rules and regulations
- Menjaga Kesihatan Diri - Personal Hygiene
- Menjaga Kebersihan Persekitaran - Care about the environment
- Menepati Janji - Keep one's promise
- Bersabar - Patience
- Berdikari - Independant
- Berhemah Tinggi - Good Manners
- Rajin Belajar - Hardworking in studies
- Mengenang Jasa - To remember what others have done for us
- Bertanggungjawab - Responsible
- Berusaha - Endevour to work hard
- Membalas Jasa - To repay what others have done for us
- Tekun - Diligent
- Rajin Membantu Ibu - Helpful towards mother
- Berkongsi - Sharing
- Menghargai pemberian - Value Gifts
- Baik Hati - Kind
- Berani - Brave or Courageous
- Ikhlas - Sincere
- Saksama - Reasonable
- Bergotong-royong - Co-operative and work together
- Bercita-cita tinggi - Ambitious
- Berdisiplin - Disciplined
- Bersemangat Tinggi - Keen and Eager, Enthusiastic
- Bijak Menggunakan Masa - Spend time wisely
- Semangat Bermasyarakat - Community Spirit
- Rasional - Rational
- Hormat - Respect
- Kasih Sayang - Affection
- Kejujuran - Honesty
- Keadilan - Justice
- Keserdehanaan - Moderation
- Kebersihan fizikal dan mental - Physical and Mental Health
- Bersopan-santun - Polite
- Berjimat - Prudent or thrifty
- Murah Hati - Generous
- Prihatin/Ambil Berat - Concern
- Peramah - Friendly
Hope this was useful for other English Speaking Families. My girl came up with part of the list. I'm off to print it out now for her. Feel free to print or share but remember to link back to me to this page. Thanks. Please note that I am just a parent, not an educator so do not rely on this for accuracy. It is just for simple reference to make explaining the Nilai Murni to english speaking children a little easier, that is all. I have tried to use the most basic English and as little words as possible in the English translation for the Nilai Murni to keep things simple.
Another thing to note is my list also tends to be more simplified for those just learning the Nilai Murni rather than as a reference for those taking the actual UPSR Nilai Murni which may be harder.