Eye Level Malaysia Back to school promo
Join our Facebook Group
Shopee Ramadan Sale

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

He works hard for the money

"Good lah you. Your wife not working."

To me, this is an understatement. I wonder what people mean when they make such a statement? If I were Mr MG, I'd bash up the next chap who tells me that. (Just like the way I want to bash up the next person who tells me "Wah good lah you. No need to work.")

I read an interesting article the other day and can identify with it. The article is titled The Unsung Heroes : What about working dads?

Here are some excerpts from the article which I can identify with, especially the parts I put in bold.



"We are bombarded by stories about the struggles of working mothers (as opposed to non-working mothers, I suppose). ......... It seems that the only time fathers merit attention is when they are criticized for not helping enough with the housework (a claim that I find dubious anyway, because the definition of "housework" rarely includes cleaning the gutters, changing the oil in the car or other jobs typically done by men) or when they die.

......Our society acts as if family obligations are not as important to fathers as they are to mothers -- as if career satisfaction is what a man's life is all about.

Even more insulting is the recent media trend of regarding at-home wives as "status symbols" -- like an expensive car -- flaunted by the supposedly few men who can afford such a luxury. The implication is that men with at-home wives have it easier than those whose wives work outside the home because they have the "luxury" of a full-time housekeeper.

In reality, however, the men who are the sole wage earners for their families suffer many stresses. The loss of a job -- or even the threat of that happening -- is obviously much more difficult when that job is the sole source of income for a family. By the same token, sole wage earners have less flexibility when it comes to leaving unsatisfying careers because of the loss of income such a job change entails. In addition, many husbands work overtime or second jobs to make more needed money for their families. For these men, it is the family that the job supports that makes it all worthwhile.

.....Those fathers who strive to be good family men by being there every day to love and support their families -- those unsung heroes -- need our recognition and our thanks for all they do. Because they deserve it. "



I'm putting this article here on my blog to remind myself to be a supportive wife to my childrens' father. I do know that he faces a lot of stresses at work but nevertheless he has to plod on no matter what, for us, his family. So, the next time someone says this to Mr MG "Good lah you. Your wife not working." I will bash him up for Mr MG. Hehe.

Popular Posts