Eye Level Malaysia Back to school promo
Join our Facebook Group
Shopee Ramadan Sale

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Learning about traditional Chinese culture and taboos through a storybook

I am not very knowledgeable about Chinese culture, taboos and tradition since my mom passed away when I was 10. I often look towards the internet or for storybooks to teach my kids about their own culture so I was delighted to find a storybook that talks about traditional Chinese taboos. This is a great way to teach kids and also yourself on all the age old "dos and don'ts". It is also a good way to teach kids of other races.



The back cover says it is a book of superstitious old wives tales, supernatural events, and taboos. For example, the author mentioned that if you don't eat all the rice on your plate you will marry a man full of pimples and pockmarks. From what I remember of our version, it was "your face will be full of pimples and pockmarks!" 


I find this book both fun and educational at the same time. I really like the way the author wrote the book ie in an autobiographical manner about herself growing up in a Peranakan household. I can identify with that because I too come from a Peranakan household. The only difference is my parents moved out of our grandparents home even before I was born so I never got to experience any of what the author did. So it was an eye-opener for me, a fun way to listen to the old folk tales told through the experience of another. 

This book made me travel back in time to my childhood. It is also a good way for me to explain tradition and taboos to my kids.


I also really loved the illustration found in "Looking After the Ashes" the book. Its a perfect match for the stories found in the book. 



Some of the chapters in the book include 
  • If You Are Ugly, It's A Boy...
  • Ah Too, Ah Kau, Ah Goo
  • Paper Lanterns, Mooncakes and a Wedding
  • Sprit of the Coin and Hairdressers
  • Paper Servants, Black Cats and Cardboard Chauffeurs
  • and lots more!



About the book:

Title: Looking After the Ashes
Type: Paperback
No of pages: 216
Publisher:  Penguin Random House SEA
Synopsis: Looking After the Ashes is a semi-biographical fiction of Kopi Soh’s childhood stories. Growing up in a large extended Taoist influenced Peranakan family filled with strong women, Kopi hears these words of ‘wisdom’ daily. She used to live in a world where clipping finger nails at night was strictly forbidden, pointing at the moon would result in one’s ears getting chopped off, and children were forced to stay indoors during sundown for fear of collision with evil forces. A world where mental disorders and illnesses were believed to be caused by malevolent spirits. Talisman, mediums and fortune tellers were a part of everyday life.
Author: Kopi Soh s the pseudonym of a Malaysian author and illustrator best known for her book Oh, I Thought I Was The Only One. She has organized volunteers to produce art for hospitals and charities. Her work was recognized in the Digi WWWOW Awards 2015, winning an award in the Social Gathering category. She has worked with various nonprofit organizations such as AsPaCC Community Hospice, Pusat Perubatan Universiti Malaya (PPUM), Pusat Perubatan Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (PPUKM), Bukit Harapan Orphanage, and Cambodia Water Project. 

Looking After the Ashes in the press:

Folk horror, memory and dark traditions stir up Malaysian author's fiction debut

Peranakan author tells of local folklore and ghosts galore

Spooky Penang Peranakan stories get retold in this horror fiction book by Penguin

Weaving childhood tales

Malaysian Artist Kopi Soh Is Now An Author After Penguin Accepts Email Submission

This Malaysian author reveals a childhood filled with chilling secrets and scary ghosts!

As of time of writing, Looking After The Ashes is rated 4.47 on Goodreads with 55 ratings and 39 reviews

Listen to Kopi Soh's reading Chapter 10 of Looking After The Ashes 



 Where to buy: 

Looking After The Ashes is available at MPH, Books Kinokuniya, Books Depository or you could also try searching for this title on Shopee or Lazada.

Popular Posts