Eye Level Malaysia Back to school promo
Join our Facebook Group
Shopee Ramadan Sale

Friday, November 11, 2016

Interview With Brigitte Rozario, Author Of The Beebo Series Of Moral Stories For Kids

Brigitte Rozario
Today, I am very lucky to be interviewing Brigitte Rozario. Brigitte is a freelance journalist, writer and editor. She also wrote The Adventures of Beebo & Friends series of books for children aged 4-10 which is currently on offer for the members of our parenting platform.

Hello Brigitte,

Thank you for agreeing to this interview. Can you tell us a little about yourself and your background?

1. What made you become a writer?

When I was a child, I loved dinosaurs, so, I wanted to become a palaeontologist. I later realised that all the
dinosaur discoveries were not in Malaysia, so, I decided to become an author, simply because I liked to write and my teacher said I had a flair for it. I was also influenced by several of the TV shows at the time, which were about families with a child who was a writer. Then I realised that it's not that easy to be an author in Malaysia and make a living from it. That's when I thought I would become a journalist.

2. How long have you been writing?

I have been writing stories from the time I was a child. I became a journalist in 1989.

3. You have written 5 books in The Adventures of Beebo & Friends series? Which is your favourite?

Yes, there are 5 books in the series. That's a tough one. It's like asking a mother which of her children is her favourite. They are all special to me in one way or another. Each book has 2 stories and they were all inspired by someone or something that is close to my heart and important to me.

4. What inspired you to write your first book?
My nephews were toddlers then and they were always up to some mischief. I was inspired to write the Beebo stories then. I imagined the adventures they would get absorbed in in a distant land. I also wanted to write stories about values that were and are close to my heart and which I thought they would benefit from.

5. Where do get your ideas come from?

My ideas come from all around me – things I see, people I meet, family and friends who touch my heart, books I read, movies I watch, music I listen to …. Everything that appeals to my senses, makes me think and tugs at my heart gives me an idea for a story.

6. How much research do you do for each book?

My books are based entirely on imagination, so not much research to be honest.

7. How long on average does it take you to write a book?

It takes a few days to write and then I leave it alone for a week or two. That way, when I look at it again with fresh eyes, I can be more objective and critical to improve on it.

8. Who do you think will enjoy reading your book? Do you have any reader (age group) in mind when you write?

Parents will be able to read the books to their preschoolers and those in kindergarten, while primary-aged children will also enjoy the books on their own. When I wrote the stories, I had preschoolers in mind, but I have had feedback from parents that their older children also enjoy the books.


9. How do you find time to write?

I wrote the stories when I was a junior reporter with The Star in the early 1990s. I made time to write them after work and on weekends then.

10. What are your books about?

My books are about a little boy named Beebo who has adventures with his best friend Peeper, as well as his other friends and his siblings. Along the way, they learn life lessons and values.

11. Do your books have a moral lesson?

Yes, my books have lessons that are not often found in other books. One of Beebo's close friends is a girl named Sam who is disabled and moves around in a wheelchair. She helps Beebo and his friends learn about being compassionate and to not bully, and to protect those who are being bullied. She also teaches Beebo, and the readers, about accepting the disabled as part of the community. This is just one example of what the series teaches readers. In another book, Beebo learns about taking care of his grandmother and that the family should be sensitive to her health needs. There are also lessons about taking care of nature, studying in school, and looking after younger siblings.

12. Who designed your book covers?

The cover and illustrations were done by the incredibly-talented Tan Vay Fern, who has worked with other authors including Mohana Gill, Tutu Dutta and Lee Poh Peng.

13. Are you working on another book?

I am currently working on some personalised books for children.

14. How can readers discover more about you or your work?
The Adventures of Beebo & Friends has a Facebook page at fb.com/beebobooks. My personal website can be found at brigitterozario.com.

15. Do you have a message for your readers?

There are so many children's books in the market today. While you choose the attractive foreign books, I hope you will also give local children's books a chance. They offer good stories and great entertainment, besides the Asian values and unique lessons that are often not found in books by western authors.

Thank you very much for taking time from your busy schedule to answer our questions.

Where To Buy The Adventures Of Beebo & Friends By Brigitte Rozario

The following books by Brigitte Rozario are now on offer for the members of our parents platform. Click here for more info.


Popular Posts