Eye Level Malaysia Back to school promo
Join our Facebook Group
Shopee Ramadan Sale

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Emotional Blackmail

There is emotional blackmail going on in my house!

Example 1

Baby is very good at this. Now that he can crawl quite fast, he likes to follow me around the house. Crawl, crawl, crawl after mummy crying softly for attention. Bad mommy runs away or tries to hide from baby but baby won't give up. Crawl, crawl, crawl after mummy crying harder all the time. Ah.... found mummy at last. Now goes up on a kneeling position with arms outstretch and crying even harder. If that doesn't work than baby pulls himself up using mummy as prop and stands wobbly there (looking as if he is going to fall down anytime) crying very hard, tears rolling down his little face which is turning red now from all his efforts, little beads of sweat starting to collect on his head and face.

Mummy picks baby up and baby stops crying abrubtly and smiles. Sometimes he even laughs! Now if thats not emotional blackmail, I don't know what is.

Example 2

I usually try to let baby and toddler have an afternoon nap at the same time but sometimes this doesn't work out and they end up disturbing each other instead. When that happens, I usually separate the siblings by taking baby out and leaving toddler in the room. Sometimes she is a good girl and goes to sleep on her own but sometimes she will cry loudly or shout for me. "Mummy, come here!". I usually ignore her but will go and check on her if its too long because safety comes first. Must make sure she is not up to too much mischief on her own.

When I go in to check on her:

Annoyed MG: Why are you standing on the bed shouting for mummy? You are supposed to put your head on the pillow, close your eyes and sleep.

Toddler: Because I want to hug hug you........ (tears rolling down her face).

Now if thats not emotional blackmail, I don't know what is.

Hmmm..... my kids have me wrapped around their tiny little fingers.

Popular Posts