Eye Level Malaysia Back to school promo
Join our Facebook Group
Shopee Ramadan Sale

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Friends

No, not the sitcom Friends but I'm talking about real friends.

Hmm... lets see, hmmm... ah.... (*count count count*) . I think my only friends are Mr MG and my sisters. Yeah.. so pathetic. Its sad, I don't know how it got this way but my friends are getting fewer and fewer as I grow older and older.

I think friends featured in my life most prominently in my teens and early 20s. I had many friends then. During primary and secondary school, I had lots of friends. We went to each other's homes to bake, chit chat, play Enid Blyton make believe games. We cycled to the beach, we tried out new clothes and hairstyles together, went to the "Disco" for the first time together at 15, went on trips together (first time also at 15. I remember going to Singapore by bus with two other girlfriends. We stayed at one of their cousin's house. Wah felt so "grown up" travelling on our own for the first time. I bought my first pair of high heel shoes then. White ones. Ish! Such bad taste).

I'm glad I was allowed to do all these things ie travel on my own and go places as my dad was quite lenient with me. Hehe. I'm No. 5 mah. First child, very strict, second child, less strict and by the time reach No 5 ie MG, anything goes. No curfew for late night outs as well. (or sometimes early morning coming home :PpP )

MG thinking aloud: Do people still go to discos these days. Haha. Its sounds so out. I think these days it must be pubs, or clubs or coffee places or those mega cinemas. I remember during the good ole days, we went to house parties. Do people still have house parties these days??

During college days, I still had a lot of friends. We played truant together, went on trips, went to each other's house to cook up a meal, went for movies, shopping, swimming, dancing, studied together. It was such fun.

Then everyone started working and thats when my friends started to drift off, slowly one by one. All thats left of my friends then were a few girlfriends and we often met up on Saturdays for shopping and all girls night out for drinks during the weekend. Then slowly one by one got married and there was more drifting off. Then slowly one by one started families and my friends grew fewer and fewer and now whats left is Mr MG and my sisters.

Everyone has their own lives now and we hardly keep in touch and some have even lost touch altogether. Funny, I have very close friends and roomates who live in KL but have never bothered to keep in touch and I have friends who have moved overseas and still keep in touch.

Whats a true friend really? Someone who will always be there for you? Or someone whom when you get together with even after being apart for ages feels like you have never been apart? I guess there's all kinds.

Dunno whats the point of this post but I just feel a little sad that I have almost no friends now. Oh well, with the latest technology, I can have friends just sitting on this chair. Strange, but true.

MG's tip to young people: Enjoy your time with your friends Now. Do all the things that you want to do Now. Go places, go on trips, sing, dance, read, go to discos (err.. sorry coffee places), go shopping, to the movies, go to each other's homes to 'lepak', play games together, tennis, squash, swimming. Have fun. There's so much to see and do. What are you still here for? Go. Scoot. Don't waste time. Go out there and enjoy your friends Now!

Popular Posts